RVN needed for award winning, fabulous practice in Biddulph, Staffordshire
All options for hours considered – 10-40 hours a week over 2, 3, 4 or 5 days. No OOH, 1 Saturday in 3 (8am-1pm)
Salary £21000-£26000 40hr FTE (£24k minimum if over 1 year qualified)
Our fabulous RVN Kirsty has decided to move house to be closer to family, so we have a position (or two depending on hours) available!
We’ve done away with full time and part time - we have vets, nurses and receptionists who are all equally part of the team, working a varying number of days and hours. Whatever pattern you need, for whatever reason, we can try to work with you.
We value your skills - you won’t be working on reception or filling out insurance forms, your skills are too important! We rely on our nurses to nurse - blood samples, catheters, X-rays, dressings, lab, medical management, consulting and of course anaesthetics. The nurses also have their own dedicated consulting room.
We want to invest in you - don’t be surprised when we ask you what CPD you want to book - we are all learning and developing.
We value your time - our aim is to finish on time, every time, and on the rare occasion it doesn’t happen or you work into your lunch, we will of course pay you for it or give the time back.
We know most people don’t want to do OOH or night checks, so we don’t ask you to. Saturdays are 1 in 3 alongside 2 receptionists, a vet, and one other nursing team member (student, VCA or RVN) and only 8am - 1pm.
We think you deserve to have proper breaks - 2 staff rooms, outside staff area, pool table, massage chair, espresso machine, velvetiser hot chocolate machine, toastie maker if you want to stay in the practice on your break - or head out for a walk, cycle or run and you can use the staff shower when you get back!
We think you should be able to love the environment you work in - there aren’t many practices that look and feel like ours 😊. Have a look at our website for more info www.bluehousevets.com . Dedicated clinical office, 8 consulting rooms, euthanasia room, cat only waiting and ward (Cat friendly silver status), 2 full theatres plus dental theatre. The environment is planned to emphasise wellbeing of staff and patients – large airy reception, consulting, and operating rooms with natural light throughout.
We think you deserve to be proud of your practice - knowing we provide excellent care, great range and quality of equipment, a knowledgeable team and all for a fair cost to our clients. We were Petplan Practice of the Year 2019, having won 2 other previous awards, and our head nurse was also a finalist for Nurse of the Year 2018. We are also finalists in IVC Team of the Year 2022.
We think you need less stress - a big factor in stress is uncertainty and urgency. By including lots of same day and emergency slots in the diary, we try to ensure there is time to deal with any “extras” that appear.
We think you like to be part of the team - we all work together to get the job done and provide a great service. We are inclusive and supportive - none of us are perfect but we will try to help however we can. If you want to join in on a Go Ape adventure, raise money for charity on a Mud Run, or come out for a pub quiz or meal that’s great – but if you don’t that’s fine too!
But what do you want - what’s important to you? Maybe we could find out together?
Email Kay.firstname.lastname@example.org and we can find out. You can also speak to Kirsty (the nurse whose position this was) and we are happy to arrange for you to talk to any current or past staff about us.
Salary: £21000 for newly qualified nurse, £24000-£26000 if over 1 year qualified (based on 40 hour week)
100% SA, single site practice, joined IVC 12 months ago
All experience levels considered.
As a BAME and LGBTQ+ inclusive employer, we are keen to hear from candidates from all minority and diverse groups. As a Disability Confident Employer, we are keen to hear from candidates with disabilities and long-term health conditions and would be happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments needed during the recruitment process. Level access throughout practice, whole practice accessible (no upstairs).
More details (in case you want them)
- Well respected single site practice
- High levels of customer service expected and delivered (award-winning reception team of 7)
- Qualified, extremely competent, Nursing Team of 5 (we value the RVN qualification) plus a student and VCA.
- Training practice (but maximum of 1 student to ensure highest quality of training and supervision)
- Approachable, down to earth team of experienced vets who enjoy their job and practice a high standard of medicine
- Visiting specialists in orthopaedics, soft tissue surgery, ultrasound
- On site acupuncture service in our unique woodland room
- Outstanding premises - take a look at our photos to see what we mean! The environment is planned to emphasise wellbeing of staff and patients – large airy reception, consulting, and operating rooms with natural light throughout.
- Cat Friendly silver certified (including cat only waiting room and cat only consult room)
- Separate cat ward, dog ward (with 6 large walk-in kennels as well as smaller kennels) and isolation ward
- Large prep room, two surgical theatres with ante room and changing area
- Separate dental theatre including dental x-ray
- Dedicated euthanasia room (with sofa, fireplace and soft lighting)
- Great equipment including digital imaging, multiparameter GA monitoring, tonopen, Blood pressure monitors etc.
- Option to take patients to a local practice for CT scan so you can follow your own cases
- Clinical office for vets and nurses so you can work at a desk if you need to!
- Private practice garden with picnic table and sun loungers so you can eat lunch outside if you want (currently needs some green fingers but will be lovely soon - wildflower beds for bees already planted!)
- Fully equipped staff room including dishwasher, table to eat at, rocking chair and massage chair (there is even a pool table and cross trainer, and a shower!)
- Full hour for lunch, with green spaces / National Trust properties close at hand if you like to get out of the practice over lunch time.
- Time off in lieu if you ever have to stay late (which should be rare)
- Regular clinical meetings (in our very large meeting and training room and in normal working hours) to discuss procedures, developments, problems, CPD, clinical audit, new equipment, ideas and planning.
We are based in a semi-rural location in the small town of Biddulph on the Staffordshire/South Cheshire border. Lots of local green spaces. Easy reach of Manchester.
About the Team
Our nursing team have a variety of interests and experience including exotics (our head nurse has an exotics certificate), wound management, anaesthesia and nutrition. We like to support learning, development and CPD.
Our 9 vets have a wide range of experience from our recent new graduate addition to over 20 years’ experience! One has a PGCert in surgery, another provides acupuncture, one is doing his ophthalmology certificate and another is doing her cardiology certificate. We are innovative, caring and listen to our team.
We are a cohesive and supportive team - whether brainstorming on how we can help a patient, celebrating our successes or understanding when things are tough. We value and listen to the opinions and experience of all our team members. Our clinical meetings allow everyone to have an input and we act on what we discuss.
We like to involve ourselves in the local community and have taken part in mud runs to raise funds for a local mental health unit and Vetlife. We also visit local schools and one of the directors is a STEM ambassador helping promote the sciences and supporting schools and community groups. We are a host practice for Pet Blood Bank.
We are looking for a qualified RVN who has empathy with clients and their pets and a desire to use their nursing skills. The ability to communicate effectively with both clients and staff is vital. We value teamwork and appreciate staff taking part in case discussion and contributing ideas to improve our practice.
We want someone who enjoys talking to clients and who can provide clear, sympathetic and useful advice when needed.
We need a nurse who can work effectively both in a team and on their own initiative. We love and value experience but can also support and guide a newly qualified nurse.
Benefits - Subject to Pro Rata
- 4 weeks paid holiday plus bank holidays
- 3 days paid CPD leave
- £550 CPD allowance per annum
- RCVS Membership paid
- Service based holiday entitlement increases
- VDS cover
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, shared parental leave and surrogacy pay
- Enhanced paternity pay
- Birthday leave
- Discounted veterinary fees
- My Benefits - various discounts including retail & gym memberships
- Cycle to Work scheme
- CPD/training support
- Paid bereavement leave
- Company sick pay
- Employee opinion survey
- Annual pay reviews
- Social events
- Academy & Leadership courses
- Focus on employee wellbeing
- Relocation packages
- Career progression opportunities
- Free flu jabs
As a BAME and LGBTQ+ inclusive employer, we are keen to hear from candidates from all minority and diverse groups. As a Disability Confident Employer, we are keen to hear from candidates with disabilities and long-term health conditions and would be happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments needed during the recruitment process.
If this position is of interest to you then please get in touch.